Two Men Convicted Over UK Terror Plot Targeting Jewish Community

Two men have been found guilty in a British court of plotting a mass casualty attack against the Jewish community in England, a case that authorities say highlights the continuing threat posed by extremist violence in the United Kingdom.
Prosecutors said the pair had planned an Islamic State inspired gun attack aimed at killing as many people as possible. Counterterrorism officers warned that, had the plan been carried out, it could have become one of the deadliest terrorist attacks ever recorded in the UK. The verdicts were delivered on Tuesday following an investigation led by specialist counterterrorism units.
The men were identified as Walid Saadaoui, aged 38, and Amar Hussein, aged 52. Police said both were motivated by violent extremist ideology and had discussed using automatic firearms to carry out an attack against Jewish targets. Investigators described the plot as detailed and deliberate, with the intention of causing mass loss of life rather than symbolic harm.
The trial took place shortly after an unrelated but deadly attack on a synagogue in Manchester in October, which had already heightened security concerns in the region. Prosecutors said the timing underlined the danger posed by individuals who act independently but are inspired by global extremist movements rather than direct command structures.
Assistant Chief Constable Robert Potts, who oversees counterterrorism policing in northwest England, said the seriousness of the plot could not be overstated. He explained that the evidence showed clear intent to carry out large scale violence and that only early intervention prevented devastating consequences. Police said the case demonstrated how online radicalisation and extremist propaganda continue to influence individuals within the UK.
The convictions also come against the backdrop of rising international concern over extremist attacks. Just over a week earlier, a mass shooting at a Jewish Hanukkah celebration on Bondi Beach in Sydney killed 15 people. While the Australian attack was not formally claimed, statements praising the violence were attributed to Islamic State, intensifying fears of copycat actions and renewed extremist momentum.
British security services have repeatedly warned that Jewish communities remain among the most frequently targeted groups by violent extremists. In response, authorities have increased protective measures around synagogues, schools, and community centres, while urging the public to remain vigilant and report suspicious behaviour.
Prosecutors said the convictions send a strong message that terrorism related offences will be met with the full force of the law. The court heard that both men showed no regard for civilian life and were driven by hatred rather than political grievance.
As sentencing approaches, community leaders have welcomed the verdicts while stressing the need for continued investment in prevention, education, and intelligence sharing. For counterterrorism officials, the case serves as a stark reminder that the threat of extremist violence has not disappeared and that early detection remains critical to protecting lives.

