News

Anthony Joshua Injured in Fatal Nigeria Road Crash That Killed Two Passengers

Anthony Joshua Injured in Fatal Nigeria Road Crash That Killed Two Passengers

Former world heavyweight boxing champion Anthony Joshua was injured in a serious road accident in Nigeria on Monday that left two people dead, according to his promoter and local police sources. The crash occurred while the boxer was travelling on a major highway during what was described as a private family visit.

Nigerian media reported that the incident took place on the Lagos Ibadan Expressway, one of the country’s busiest and most accident prone highways. The vehicle Joshua was travelling in reportedly collided with a truck, resulting in fatal injuries to two passengers. A Nigerian police source confirmed that the boxer was involved in the crash, though officials did not immediately release further details about the investigation.

Images circulating on social media showed Joshua sitting inside a damaged vehicle, shirtless and surrounded by broken glass on the seats. The photos suggested he had survived the collision without life threatening injuries, though his exact condition was not officially confirmed in the hours following the accident.

Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn told British media that the boxer had been in Nigeria on a family holiday and learned of the incident after waking up. Hearn said efforts were ongoing to contact Joshua directly and urged caution against speculation. He added that based on the images he had seen, Joshua appeared to be conscious and not seriously harmed.

According to Punch newspaper, Joshua was travelling in a two vehicle convoy at the time of the crash. A witness identified as Adeniyi Orojo told the outlet that Joshua was seated behind his driver. He said the passenger sitting beside the driver and another person seated next to Joshua were both killed at the scene. Emergency responders later arrived to secure the area and remove the damaged vehicles.

The incident has shocked fans both in Nigeria and abroad, given Joshua’s profile and recent return to high level competition. Earlier this month, the British boxer of Nigerian heritage scored a knockout victory over Jake Paul in a widely watched bout backed by Netflix in Miami. The fight marked a high profile moment in Joshua’s career following a period of mixed results in the ring.

Joshua had been expected to remain active next year, with plans reportedly in place for a major showdown against fellow former world champion Tyson Fury. Such a bout would be one of the most anticipated heavyweight contests in recent years if it goes ahead as planned.

Before his win against Paul, Joshua’s previous professional fight ended in disappointment. He suffered a fifth round knockout loss to Daniel Dubois in September last year, a result that raised questions about his future at the top of the heavyweight division.

The crash has also renewed attention on road safety in Nigeria, where traffic accidents claim thousands of lives each year due to congestion, poor road conditions and heavy truck traffic. Authorities have not yet confirmed whether charges will be filed or what factors contributed to the collision.

As investigations continue, fans and figures from the boxing world have expressed relief that Joshua survived while offering condolences to the families of those who lost their lives. Further updates on his condition and any impact on his boxing schedule are expected once he is formally assessed and able to speak publicly.