Hundreds of Hong Kong Tourists Confirmed Safe After Powerful Quake Strikes Japan

Hundreds of Hong Kong tourists have been confirmed safe after a strong magnitude 7.5 earthquake shook northern Japan late Monday night, triggering a warning about the possibility of an even larger quake in the coming days. The tremor struck at around 11:15 p.m., prompting immediate concern among families in Hong Kong as tour groups were known to be traveling across several Japanese prefectures at the time.
According to the Travel Industry Council, about twenty Hong Kong tour groups were in Japan when the quake occurred. The groups, totaling roughly three hundred travelers, were spread across different regions including areas closer to the affected northern coastline. Council chairman Tommy Tam Kwong shun said on Tuesday that all groups had made contact with their operators and reported no injuries or emergencies. He added that none of the groups had requested assistance, and there were no significant disruptions to their planned itineraries.
Tam said the council had been closely monitoring updates from Japanese authorities, ensuring that tour agencies could quickly reach all travelers. He noted that many operators were well prepared for such events given Japan’s frequent seismic activity, which allowed them to implement safety protocols immediately after the quake. Tour escorts also conducted headcounts and checked accommodation sites for damage before confirming the groups’ safety.
Japanese meteorological officials issued a warning shortly after the quake, stating that northern Japan faced a heightened risk of another large scale earthquake, potentially magnitude 8 or above, within the next week. This advisory came as aftershocks continued to be recorded in several prefectures, keeping local residents and visitors on alert.
Hong Kong’s Immigration Department said it had not received any requests for help from citizens in Japan as of Tuesday morning. Officials stated that assistance hotlines remained active and that they were prepared to respond quickly should travelers encounter difficulties. Airlines and travel agencies were also reviewing transport arrangements, though no major flight cancellations or schedule changes affecting Hong Kong passengers had been reported.
Several travelers shared messages online saying they felt the shaking late at night but described the experience as brief and manageable. Many said hotel staff provided instructions and assured guests that buildings were designed to withstand strong earthquakes. Some tour groups temporarily moved to designated safe zones before returning to their hotels once authorities lifted initial tsunami alerts.
Japan remains one of the most popular destinations for Hong Kong tourists, especially during holiday periods, and travel operators emphasized that safety remains their top priority. The Travel Industry Council said it would continue coordinating with Japanese partners and monitoring seismic updates to ensure travelers receive timely guidance.
For now, all Hong Kong groups are continuing their itineraries with caution as Japan evaluates seismic activity in the days ahead.

