Trump Rejects Russian Claims of Ukrainian Drone Attack on Putin Residence

US President Donald Trump has publicly rejected Russian claims that Ukraine targeted a residence linked to Russian President Vladimir Putin in a drone attack last week, saying American intelligence assessments do not support Moscow’s version of events. Speaking to reporters on Sunday, Trump said US officials had reviewed available information and concluded that Ukraine was not responsible for striking Putin’s property.
The comments directly contradict statements from the Kremlin, which earlier accused Kyiv of launching a drone attack aimed at a residence used by Putin. Russian officials portrayed the alleged incident as a serious escalation and suggested it demonstrated Ukraine’s willingness to target the Russian leadership directly. Initial reports from Moscow claimed air defence systems had intercepted the drones before any significant damage occurred.
Trump said the United States had looked carefully at the incident and found no evidence pointing to Ukrainian involvement. He added that while Washington continues to monitor developments closely, it was important to avoid drawing conclusions that could unnecessarily inflame tensions or justify further escalation in the conflict. His remarks appeared designed to calm speculation that the war was entering a more dangerous phase involving direct attacks on heads of state.
According to US officials familiar with the assessment, intelligence agencies examined satellite data, radar tracking and other sources before reaching their conclusion. While details of the analysis were not made public, Trump emphasised that the findings were shared with allies in order to prevent misinformation from spreading. He did not indicate who, if anyone, the US believed might be responsible, leaving open the possibility of misidentification, internal incidents or exaggerated claims.
Ukraine has consistently denied targeting Putin or his personal residences. Ukrainian leaders have said their military operations are focused on legitimate military objectives connected to Russia’s invasion, not symbolic or personal targets. Kyiv has also accused Moscow of using dramatic claims to rally domestic support and distract from setbacks on the battlefield.
The Kremlin, for its part, has maintained its accusation and criticised Washington’s response. Russian officials argue that dismissing the claim downplays what they describe as an attempted strike on national leadership. State media in Russia has framed Trump’s comments as politically motivated, suggesting the United States is shielding Ukraine from blame.
The dispute highlights the broader information war surrounding the conflict. Both sides regularly accuse each other of spreading false narratives, while external actors struggle to verify claims made during fast moving events. Analysts note that allegations involving attacks on senior leaders carry particular weight because they can alter public perception and influence military decision making.
Trump’s intervention also reflects Washington’s delicate position. While the United States remains a key supporter of Ukraine, it has repeatedly stressed the need to avoid steps that could lead to direct confrontation with Russia. By disputing the Kremlin’s account, Trump appeared to be signalling that the US does not accept narratives that could be used to justify expanded retaliation.
As fighting continues, incidents like this underscore how easily unverified claims can raise fears of escalation. For now, Trump’s statement suggests that, from the US perspective, the reported drone attack does not represent a new or deliberate attempt by Ukraine to target Russia’s president, even as tensions between Moscow and Kyiv remain high.

